Wednesday 5 November 2008

Post-holiday mess

As much as I enjoyed having Monday off, on Tuesday I started to feel restless and ended up feeling pretty miserable by the evening. A nice portion of ice cream took care of that, this morning however I felt even worse. It didn’t matter all that much, I told myself, it was going to go away as soon as I got into a classroom. But that didn’t happen – my agent had forgotten to mention I needed to have my CRB (criminal record check) on me so they sent me back home.
By the time I got home, I had figured it all out: I was feeling lonely. I had just spent a week among people who know me and love me, and I’m back here now, reduced to stuffed animals looking at me sympathetically as I’m reading in bed while Paul gets to see his friends (which is good for him, really, it just doesn’t make me feel better). So I decided to do something about it. However, there is only so much you can do when all your local friends had moved away or are in their first year of teaching and overwhelmed by it.
By then it was crying it out or sweating it out, and as the latter seemed more productive I set off to the gym. Once there, I decided to hook my headphones to the news channel thinking that images of people celebrating Obama’s victory would help the process. Unfortunately I was rather emotionally challenged at that point so it only made me cry, and more it made me cry, more purposefully I marched on my treadmill, which did the trick: 10 bloody kilometres and buckets of sweat later, I was feeling much better.
Only it didn’t last.
So the only solution I had left at that point was to get myself a drink and dig out my long forgotten Tori Amos cds. And I find it both disturbing and comforting how I still know all the lyrics.

7 comments:

GrandAnglais said...

Exercise can be cathartic, I've never cried when doing it(only in pain perhaps). 10 kilometres is impressive - how long does that take? I can never do it more than 20 minutes at a time, and that kills me.
Tori Amos - I pity that woman when it's her time of the month. But I guess it's good material for her songs. The Cornflake Girl is a great song but I had to Google it to find out what it was about?
Are you a cornflake or a raisn?

Anna said...

LOL! Raisin girl definitely! (Or at least I hope so). But I always pick out raisins from my cornflakes cause I don't like them...
And for the 10 km - it took around 2 hours and to be perfectly honest I have no idea how I made it, usually after around 40 minutes I've had enough.

GrandAnglais said...

Surely you would have gone further than 10 kilometres in 2 hours? Either way that's incredible, I would simply have died or be on a life support machine afterwards.
Oh my God, I feel uncomfortably like I'm stalking your blog. Please tell me and I'll refrain from commenting.

Anna said...

No, as I do not run (hate running) I just walk very fast. So it takes more time.
And by all means do not refrain from commenting - am enjoying your comments.
Who would have thought I would ever have my own stalker...

GrandAnglais said...

I feel uncomfortable with the word stalker...let's just say follower, that's better.
Could you do me a favour? I'd love to know what these Polish women are laughing at...I love this sketch!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixI2mera_a4
Are all Polish women like that? Hope it's not racist, they've already got in trouble for the Fillipino sketch!

Anna said...

Well, I would love to know what they are laughing at too! Maybe one word in 5 is Polish in there... the rest is God knows what. So sorry, but won't be able to help!

GrandAnglais said...

Well I guess they are never refered to explicitly as Polish but clearly that's the inference here. I think it is more some kind of hybrid east European language dreamed up by an English person!
Never mind, I shall just have to use my imagination...