Thursday 20 November 2008

‘Are they making little planes?’

The form I am covering now has a very specific schedule of activities. Thursday is presentation day, where they take turns presenting topics of interest to them. This morning one boy talked about aeroplanes. He explained the safety, he explained different bits and pieces on the wings and elsewhere and then he changed slides and said:
‘And now, the cockpit. … Don’t get any wrong ideas!’
There was a moment of silence and we all burst out laughing. Highly inappropriate, I know, but there was really nothing I could do about it… There was no way he was going to say anything substantial about the cockpit, so he moved on to tanking in flight. The slide accompanying that bit showed two planes one on top of the other. And the comment wasn’t long to be made. What didn’t help, was that the rear of the upper one really looked a lot like a bum.
Ah, the one tracked minds of 12 year olds…

2 comments:

GrandAnglais said...

I remember blushing as a very young child when my dad asked me to say the word Middlesex!
Cockpit is a funny word! And you should know by now that the English love a good double-entendre, especially children.

Anna said...

I seriously suspect that this is one of the main reasons why I like it here!