Sunday 3 February 2008

Everyone should have a Cate

I love train stations. Train stations are where everyone is going somewhere (which you can’t really always say about life). Everything has a sense of purpose, and there’s always something or someone waiting for everyone at the end of the journey: home, adventure, experience, something. Train stations are happy places. Life really happens there.
One thing that amused me while I was waiting for the train that was going to take me to Oxford, was the announcements. “I’m (extremely) sorry for the (severe) delay to your journey.” said the speaker and to my expat year it sounded as if the person making the announcement felt personally responsible for the problem.

I love going places, even if it often makes me way too thoughtful for my own good. You get to see bits of life that you would have wanted or could have had. Oxford is an academic city, knowledge and study seep from each stone and each angle. And one of Cate’s friends made me talk about my thesis, which sort of made me miss all that…

But most of all, I love Cate. Cate is someone that makes you think, review your opinions and form new opinions about things you never felt you needed to have an opinion on before. Cate is also full of random facts (did you know that banana was actually a berry?) and quick advice that always makes sense. So I’m back from Oxford untangled and back on track. My reason is back where it belongs and no longer absent without further notice. Everyone should have a Cate. And next time I go shopping I will buy chicken.

No comments: