Saturday 10 May 2008

Narrow

Lunch break in the staff room, I’m heating up my Polish soup (yum!) and am asked about what is it that smells so good. I explain. My interlocutor is immediately triggered into motion, and bestows me with two cans of Polish fish specialities, which – as he explained – someone had given to him. All surprised at how someone could so easily part with such a delicious thing, and none the less grateful, even if as I’ve later discovered the fish had expired a year ago – it was canned so I still ate it and am still alive and feeling well. But that is beside the point. Or maybe not completely. But never mind. So I cautiously enquire about whether my benefactor is sure and certain not to want to eat it himself and he replies, to my utter bewilderment: “Yeah, sure, I don’t like imported”.
The sad thing is, that he is a teacher and his job description is therefore broadening his students’ horizons.

No comments: