Friday 7 March 2008

When I least expected it...

I had a brilliant day (which is not something I can often say). In fact, it was so nice that it made me feel like spending my Friday night creating an activity/reading bank for the little monsters. I mean, when Vile Year 9 defies it’s reputation and is actually nice and co-operative, it is a special day. And they did today.
It’s amazing what even problematic kids can do when you give them the ownership and the responsibility for their own learning. We had a behaviour session on “Working Together” today. They made up classroom rules, they decided on consequences of breaking them and suddenly my detentions are no longer unfair and even the girl who called me a bitch the other day accepted hers without a word. But, of course, we will see how it works when we’ll go back to actually learning French.
And then, in the other year 9, there’s this girl, who loves languages so much that she’ll be taking a third one on next year and is so keen that I would have loved her even if she didn’t remind me so much of Muriel.
And in the Whole School Issues session I’ve got a Principal’s Merit Sticker! (now I know how it feels when I give a Merit Sticker to one of the kids… he, he…)

No comments: