Tuesday 3 February 2009

Snow

Winter is my favourite season, but for winter to be winter, there must be snow. I love snow.
It snowed all Sunday night and all Monday. I got to school snowy cheerful and didn’t understand why people where saying the school should close. After all it was only snow, yes, there was a lot of it, but hell, I’d seen much worse!
Well, I soon realised that the kids were all over the place – probably because snow is such a rarity here. There was no work going on what so ever. Snowballs were flying inside the school as much as outside the school. They all arrived to the lessons late, excited and wet through and through. And as the day went by, as it snowed more and more, my frustration increased with every lesson I didn’t manage to teach, I gave in to the general ‘I don’t want to be here’ mood as well.
Once home, I spent my evening working, cause I didn’t find out that all schools were going to be closed today until everything was done. Well, what’s done is done I thought, at least I’ll get to sleep in.
Think again. The leadership suggested that the staff came to school anyway to catch up on work using the occasion that the kids weren’t there.
So I went. And I think I was probably the only teacher there.
And by the time I left school, the snow had mostly frozen or disappeared.
And yes, I got a lot of work done, and yes, I will have free evenings for the rest of the week. But I can’t help thinking that I’ve missed out.
Cause it seems like I’m the only one who didn’t go mountain biking in the snow, didn’t make a snow man, didn’t make a snow angel, didn’t interact with the snow in any other way and hence doesn’t any have snowy photos to upload to Facebook. Not fair.

1 comment:

EW said...

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I donned walking boots and outdoor gear akin to climbing kilimanjaro to walk to work yesterday morning. Lots of people didn't make it in either, and by the time I finished work all the snow had melted and my plan to make snow angels in the park across the road completely dashed.

I did get to sit in work and look at it through the window though. Whoopee do.

EW