Wednesday 21 January 2009

On memorable moments

Yesterday, as the first black president of the United States of America was being sworn in, I was sitting in a boring meeting struggling to stay awake. Was I aware that the first black president of the United States of America was being sworn in as I watched the clock hands move painfully forward? No. Big things are happening, people, and all I can do is try not to collapse with exhaustion.
‘You are different today, Miss’ said a year 7 boy to me today. ‘What do you mean?’ ‘Oh, I don’t know, you’re more in control’.
Am I really? No, not really. Which he must have realised as four of his classmates stumbled into the classroom 15 minutes late and suddenly it was all about behaviour control all over again.
I’m starting to wonder if I will ever actually get to dealing with the behaviour as I teach rather than trying to teach while I’m struggling to control the behaviour.

No comments: