Sunday 22 February 2009

On near-death experiences yet again

The way Hollywood productions have it, a near-death experience is supposed to be a turning point in your life, because going through a near-death experience is illuminating and you suddenly have all the answers to the biggest of questions. Therefore, after going through a near-death experience you are supposed to do something dramatic: quit your job, get a divorce, move to the North pole, anything, as long as it entails spectacular changes to your life, makes you excruciatingly happy and successful and makes you live your hitherto average life to the fullest and happily ever after.
Last Thursday we’ve had a head on collision with a lorry at a combined speed of 60 mph. And trust me, when I saw that big white thing going straight into my face I thought that that was that. But my life did not fly before my eyes or anything of the kind. Yet, what my near-death experience made me understand was that, as cheesy as it may sound, I seriously love my life, just the way it is. Not sure if that counts as an illumination though. In any case, I’m not planning on doing anything dramatic about anything any time soon, which is possibly at least partly related to the fact that I feel like a sack of broken glass and even small completely un-dramatic gestures like pulling my trousers up send me into agony.

1 comment:

EW said...

Wow! Glad you are ok.