Monday 9 March 2009

Common courtesy

While I was planning my lessons for tomorrow, GG (which is a Polish chat programme) informed me that my sister was online. I had not spoken to her in ages so I promptly sent a message. The conversation went as follows:
Hi there Fatty!’ (It’s a pet name, the whole family calls her that, probably because she’s always been skin on bones)
Hello Skinny’ - that surprised me a bit, but I didn’t think much of it.
How are you?
Depends what you’re asking about
Am asking in general
And who are you? I don’t talk to unknown Skinnies’ - I thought that my contact info had disappeared from her GG while she reinstalled it or something, so I replied:
Your sister, dummy, how many people call you Fatty?
Who?
Your older sister. The one who lives on the other side of the Channel.’ - how many sisters did my sister think she had?
Should I whack you or fuck your face up?’ – WHAT?
I proceeded to apologising politely to the apparently unknown person I had messaged thinking they were my sister but insisted that the language was uncalled for. The apology was accepted, the person apologised for the language and explained that they always reacted like that to unknown contacts.
Ah, common courtesy.
Needless to say, I’ve deleted what I thought was my sister’s contact info from my GG…

2 comments:

Carina said...

Sweetheart - only you could be offended by something like that, when you've messaged someone that (it turns out) you don't know, and called them Fatty...! Bless you xxx

EW said...

Every once it while we all have experiences like that which remind us how anonymous and big the web really is. At least your 'sister' didn't ask for your bank details.