Wednesday 8 October 2008

Russell

We met a few weeks ago, during a weekend I was spending in MK. He was a little sceptical about me, but then decided that I was ok, or at least so it seemed, since he agreed to lend me his pillow. In exchange, I lent him my ear, and he told me stories of Brussels, his hometown, although we both thought it was quite an unusual place for a Polar Bear to be from.
He told me he often dreamt about Iceland and was quite disappointed to have missed an opportunity to go there, but hoped that one day maybe another opportunity will arise again. I told him of my dreams of Norway and said that I could maybe take him with me if I ever went, if he was interested in going, that is. We talked and talked, until we fell asleep, me with my head on his pillow, him with his muzzle still by my ear. The next morning I was rushing for my train, so we exchanged hasty ‘nice to have met you’-s and ‘see you when I see you’-s.

The following weekend, I was delightfully surprised to see him climb out of Paul’s bag – he wanted to see me, he said. He thought that we should talk some more. The beginnings were slightly awkward as Hoffman the Dog was somewhat unimpressed with what he thought was competition. Happily, he quickly warmed up to Russell and decided that it was nice to have someone to keep him company when I was away. Besides, he said, Russell could do things he couldn’t do himself, because of being too big (Russell is a very small Polar Bear). Like get into my teacher’s bag so that I don’t have to go alone to that vile school with vile children that make me swear in the classroom. Like go places and then tell him all about them. Cause Hoffman is a very curious Dog, and Russell is full of stories and enjoys telling them, unlike Didier, who is a Travelling and Adventurous Frog, but being a Frog is rather haughty, a trait that Hoffman doesn’t appreciate much.

On a few occasions Russell talked about going back to MK, as he missed Paul, but somehow never made it into his bag. Nevertheless, his first question every morning is invariably ‘Is it Friday yet?’ (polar bears don’t have a very good sense of time). If I say ‘no’, he asks ‘how long till Friday?’. If I say ‘yes’, he says ‘Uh, oh, happy Friday then’ and lets out a chuffed growl.

1 comment:

Carina said...

You forgot to mention that Didier is an anal fetishist, too. You need to get that Frog a plug before he has a prolapse.

Anyway, I can't help but feel I've sullied your lovely post with something much less pleasant - suffice it to say that when I met Russell some weeks ago, I didn't realise exactly who he was, and I look forward to meeting him again, now I have a much more full understanding of his expertise and experiences.