Thursday 16 October 2008

On being Polish

I had two interesting conversations concerned with my nationality today. They went like this:

1.
- Miss, is it true you’re Polish?
- Yes, I am.
- Aaaaaah, that explains it!
- What do you mean?
- Polish people are nasty!

2.
- Miss, are you really Polish?
- Yes, I am.
- Oooooh, bless! (in a tone of voice implying that it was the most endearing thing my interlocutor had ever heard).

One was with a student, one with a teaching assistant. Guess which one with whom. Guess which one annoyed me more.

2 comments:

GrandAnglais said...

I should imagine 2 annoyed you more because it's very patronising. Was it the assistant? Can't imagine a young child saying that but I don't know what age range you teach.
P.S. Are you nasty?

Anna said...

I teach secondary, but you're right on both accounts.
It took a lot of self control not to tell the woman what I thought about her reply!
And whether I'm nasty... I suppose it depends who you ask!