Tuesday 10 June 2008

POLSKA GOLA!

If you would have told me a few years back that I would be getting all emotional and serious about football of all things, I wouldn’t have believed you.
I know that I watched the world cup a couple years ago, but it seems to be getting worse with age. And I have to say that watching the game with expatriated Poles was something else. My guess is that homesickness probably does play a role in all this. I mean, we ALL got up to sing the anthem, and we all cheered and encouraged as if they were going to actually hear us. And it was moving (I know, I’m a sad cow). And there was Polish beer for 2 quid per bottle, which also helped. Some more than others, if you know what I mean.
One disturbing thing however was that somehow all of the supporter chants intoned were curiously based on the melody for ‘Guantanamera’. God knows why.
Also, watching football has an additional side effect of making me very cool indeed. According to my kids that is. And even if the outcome of the Sunday game was disappointing, it was not a failure to lose to the Germans, cause ‘they’re the best team ever Miss!’. Especially while ‘you played really well Miss!’. And besides ‘we didn’t even qualify, Miss!’.
They’re all going to cheer for Poland on Thursday. And I didn’t even have to bribe them with chocolate.

No comments: